Monthly Archives: April 2015
6th Grade Class Field Trip to the
Ronald Reagan Library &
Air Force One Discovery Center
Thursday, April 23, 2015
The week we get back from Easter Vacation we are going to the Reagan Library and the Air Force One Discovery Center
The Discovery Center is a unique educational experience. Students will be facing the challenges and responsibilities of presidential decision making and military planning in the midst of a reenactment of an international crisis. They will be taking a journey back to 1983, to the Presidency of Ronald Reagan and the Grenada Crisis. During this time, the oval office staff, and military commanders worked tirelessly to rescue 800 American medical students.
Students will be given roles of people who faced the crisis. Acting as President, his cabinet and military advisors; students will make vital decisions regarding the Grenada Crisis. They will debate the merits of various diplomatic and military options and share their opinions with the acting President, who will then have to make the final decision.
Parents, be careful not to give away the ending of this crisis in our nation’s history in order to allow the students to make actual decisions. Also, I am sorry to say that parents will not be allowed in the Discovery Center during the first part of our trip. You will, however, be able to explore the library during your student’s experience.
Here are the details about the trip:
- We will be meeting at 7:30am in the morning and returning around 5:00pm.
- We are asking each student to dress up professionally to get into character for their roles.
- The trip cost for each student is $5. Parents cost is $15.
- We are in need of at least 4 drivers for this trip.
- Each student and adult will need to bring a sack lunch
- Please return the permission slip form signed as soon as possible.