Monthly Archives: September 2015
DRCS 6th Grade Class Manzanar Field Trip
Monday, October 13, 2015 – 7:30am to 9pm
In three weeks we will be taking our first class field trip to the Owens Valley to tour and experience Manzanar. Manzanar was one of ten Japanese American relocation centers where over 10,000 out of 120,000 Japanese Americans were placed shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor during World War II. There we will see and learn how fear and discrimination wrongly affected the life of Japanese Americans as they were torn from their communities and forced to live in cramped, makeshift barracks. We will get to walk the grounds, see where and how the people lived, and get a firsthand feel of what life was like in Manzanar.
Here are some important details about the trip thus far. More details will be told as the trip approaches:
- We will be meeting at 7:30am sharp on Tuesday morning at the school. We will pack the vehicles and be on our way to Manzanar. Please make sure your child eats a good-sized breakfast, as we will not be stopping to eat until lunch around 11:30am.
- Students are allowed to bring snacks but not allowed to bring electronics, such as I-pods, I-pads, hand held video games, and personal DVD players. Unless they are used to take pictures only.
- Each child will need to bring $15 to $20 for food for two meals (fast food lunches) and snacks. .
- We will be returning between 8pm and 9pm. We will have students call their parents when we are getting close.
- We are in need of at least 3 parents who are willing to drive and take students with their own vehicles. They will be given $5 per person to help with the cost of gas.
- Please return the attached permission slip form, signed, as soon as possible. Also, if you have any special needs or questions, please let Mrs. Barr or myself know.