Monthly Archives: March 2017
Watch & Answer:
Define courage. How do you want to be courageous in life?
Air Force One Discovery Center
March 28, 2017
In a couple of weeks we are going to the Reagan Library and the Air Force One Discovery Center
The Discovery Center is a unique educational experience. Students will be facing the challenges and responsibilities of presidential decision making and military planning in the midst of a reenactment of an international crisis. They will be taking a journey back to 1983, to the Presidency of Ronald Reagan and the Grenada Crisis. During this time, the oval office staff, and military commanders worked tirelessly to rescue 800 American medical students.
Students will be given roles of people who faced the crisis. Acting as President, his cabinet and military advisors; students will make vital decisions regarding the Grenada Crisis. They will debate the merits of various diplomatic and military options and share their opinions with the acting President, who will then have to make the final decision.
Parents, be careful not to give away the ending of this crisis in our nation’s history in order to allow the students to make actual decisions. Also, I am sorry to say that parents will not be allowed in the Discovery Center during the first part of our trip. You will, however, be able to explore the library during your student’s experience.
Here are the details about the trip:
- We will be meeting at 7am in the morning and returning around 4:30pm to 5pm depending on traffic.
- We are asking each student to dress up professionally to get into character for their roles.
- The trip cost for each student is $0. Parents cost is $21 – you will pay on your own.
- We are in need of at least 4 drivers for this trip.
- Each student will need to bring a sack lunch in a throwaway container.
- Please return the permission slip form signed as soon as possible.
On our trip to the LAMOTH we learned about a couple of people who helped Jews escape Nazi controlled areas during WWII. Below is a video of Sir Nicholas Winton who organized the Kinder Transports. Watch and answer the following questions.
What is so special about what Sir Nicholas Winton did? What was powerful?
Did he see race or act out of prejudice or did he see life and act out of love?
How can you be a like him?